Wednesday, September 27, 2006

I Love Fair Isle

Ok, this project isn't strictly Fair Isle, in that the motifs are from Anatolia and the symmetry is a little different. Still, you know what I mean.

Here's the progress so far of the vest, just over half-way through the first repeat.


Today I timed myself, just to see what kind of rate I sustain. I played a 48 minute CD and I did 4.5 rows at 330 stitches per row. 1485 stitches (roughly) or about 31 stitches a minute as a sustained average rate. Not record-breaking, but I think it's respectable, considering I stop to flex my fingers every now and then and also to stare admiringly at the work in progress.

Here's the close-up shot:

16 comments:

Molly Bee said...

This is turning out absolutely gorgeous! I like the new pink much better than the old. What a stunning pattern-great ribbing!

rincaro said...

That's really beautiful! I love the color choices you settled on.

Helen said...

it is so beautiful. the colours turned out superb

Trillian42 said...

That is looking AMAZING! I can't wait to see the pattern progress!

Bezzie said...

Wow. You are my fair isle (or any style requiring that much strandwork) idol. I'm not yet that advanced/able to focus that long (not sure which!) yet!

Erica said...

Wow. I wasn't feelin' the love on your initial swatches, but now that I see more of it at once, I can see why you chose those colors!

Can't wait to see it as an F.O....

jpknits said...

What an enjoyable 48 minutes that proved to be. I need to take a lesson: put on the cd, shut the door, and knit.

Karen said...

That's gorgeous. I can't wait to see the finished object.

Sarah said...

I LOVE it.

Seriously beautiful.

I can't wait to see it in it's full glory!

And, I really do love the colors you've picked!

YarnB said...

I love the colors and the patterns. Just beautiful! I have never knit anything like that and I would like to try at some point! Just beautiful. I just love the earth colors.....

Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks beautiful. It's hard to compare seeing it in person to a picture but, it seems more complex. The little bit of green and purple make a big difference!

Leslie said...

I'm always impressed with your colorwork. You do such a great job. Weekend knitting ahead!

Zonda said...

Love it! Great work so far! :)

turtlegirl76 said...

God that's gorgeous.

31 stitches per minute is nothing to scoff at for fair isle. You make yourself sound downright normal. THAT - you are not. You are a knitting bad-ass!

Anonymous said...

It looks gorgeous!

Jerry & Maxy said...

GORGEOUS! You speed demon!