Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Kelebek Finished!

This morning, I finished darning in the last ends and sewed on my buttons. I hadn't yet monkeyed with the self-timer on my new camera, so I thought it was a good time to learn. Still more learning to be done, I'm afraid.
Here are two blurry photos:



I'll have someone (husband or son, not sure which) try again for me. Or maybe I'll read the manual a little more and see if there's a handy tip or two I missed.

Before I release a pattern, I'm going to make at least one other colorway swatch, maybe two, in more popular colors. I have a lot of teals, blues, and greens of the Harrisville New England Shetland and I have a lot of oranges and reds I think could live together, too.

In other news
On Saturday I got a suspicious letter in the mail. No return address, something thicker than paper in there, marked "Hand Stamp" in big letters on the front. It was a little random act of kindness from saintjay/Rhymes with Mango:

an emory board with butterflies from Kaleidescope Yarns and a funny postcard from a Cafe Press store. Thanks! It was a fun little surprise.

Remind me to tell you all about the time when Mr. SABLE got a suspicious padded mailer and it eventually led to a visit from the bomb squad. Don't worry: false alarm. Sure gave the neighbors something to think about, though. But that's a story for another day.

I spent most of today on a field trip with the kindergarteners to the Perfect Pumpkin Patch. Rounding up gas molecules in the great outdoors. Most of the kids were very good, but I'm beat.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great vest! I've been reading lots of Elizabeth Zimmerman and am about ready to try steeks. Seems pretty nervy to me!

Anonymous said...

The vest came out gorgeous! Not a bad self timed shot either.

That card is cute. "Here sheepie, sheepie." lol.

Erica said...

Gorgeous! Might be enough to get me to brave some steeks.

Margot said...

The vest is gorgeous!! Even blurry. : )

For the second sample, I vote for blues/greens, even though I prefer reds/oranges. I think it would be a higher contrast to the one you already made. Not that you were asking for votes, but you know me.

And - Eeep! Didn't mean to scare you! Glad that you liked your little treat.

Bezzie said...

Either my eyesight is going but I didn't think those pictures looked blurry at all!! The vest looks GREAT! You'll have to give us a close up on the buttons you had to go buy! :-)

Elizabeth said...

Thanks all.

Margot, I wasn't actually scared by your letter, but Mr. SABLE's story is a good one. It'll take more typing than I have in me right now.

I am leaning toward the blues and teals swatch, mostly because I think it will have the most appeal for the masses.

Bezzie, the pictures would have looked a lot worse had I not taken them with an 8 megapixel camera and resized to 270 pixels wide. And the wonders of Photoshop. I'll get some button close ups tomorrow.

Jerry & Maxy said...

It fits you very well, and looks great. Do you like it? Go E!

Batty said...

Wow, that vest is gorgeous! It fits you beautifully, and I love the colors.

Liz said...

Even kind of blurry that vest is incredible. Great job!

Molly Bee said...

Absolutely Gorgeous!!!!!

turtlegirl76 said...

Wow! That's gorgeous! I love the fit. And who says those colors aren't popular? I think they're wonderful!

YarnThrower said...

What a great fitting sweater! And it looks so nice on you! Perfect!

Jenny said...

So impressive! I'm always impressed by your talent and ability to get things finished!

OLPP said...

Oh that's gorgeous! I can't even begin to imagine the time that took! Not only is the vest beautiful, but it looks wonderful on you, too!

Sarah said...

Kelebek is lovely!

I love it on you too, the colors really are good on you.

Though a teal-blue version sounds drool-worthy to me!

Awesome.

Zonda said...

Love it, just awesome colors and it fits well! :)

MiniLaura said...

Sorry that it's taken me so long to tell you how wonderful your vest is. I particularly like the corregated ribbing.

I think the colors are lovely and subtle and look great on you. However, I'm still excited to see your new swatches.

Marji said...

Love Kelebek, and the fit is great. I like it too that you are going to show other color options before releasing the pattern. More people will find it appealing when they see it knit in a colorway they would personally knit, and of course that requires several samples. (so why do you look like you are ready to take flight?)

what fun to get a nifty gifty.