Sunday, January 14, 2007

A sketch to go with the swatch



Here's a rough sketch of the basic sweater I'll be using for Shetland stitch pattern. (Or Faroese, but found in the Shetlands.) I did not attempt to paint in all the little repeats of the pattern. I'm not that crazy.

I was able to cast on this evening. I had to leave the room to double check my stitch count, because it's quite annoying to do one of those really big cast-ons and find out you screwed up by 10 stitches because your kid interrupted you around "75, 76, 7, 8, 9, 90, 91..." Don't laugh. I've screwed up some sweaters that way. And since I've always had big hips in relation to my middle, I don't want a smaller number of stitches for the ribbing at the hips. So, it took several tries to accurately count to past 100, but I did put markers at the one- and two-hundred marks. And I'm sure I have the correct number of stitches.

With a little luck, I'll have progress pics to show in the next couple of days. Stay tuned!

7 comments:

Bezzie said...

I think your swatch is dead on.

And now you know why I place a marker every 10 stitches if I have to cast on more than 50 sts. ;-)

Gail said...

Blogger is being difficult, hopefully my profile will show up now. I just wanted to say I liked the swatch, and your design. I look forward to seeing you progress with this sweater!

Gaile
gaile.ca

Lynn said...

Ah, yes, the dreaded interrupting-the-stitch-count family! I have only one of those (he's 56) and it still happens All The Time.

I'm looking forward to seeing this sweater; I really like the swatch!

Abigale said...

Just piping up to say hi! Love the new sweater design - how tremendously cool that it has meaning in the family sense as well - love the square hat too...

Carina said...

This looks like a great project. I vote for zipper (they're not that bad, and I hand-sew them in), although my knitting mentor just does one big button at the top and leaves the rest open. It works for her.

I do love that swatch. Keep us posted with updates--it's too pretty. :-)

Batty said...

I love your swatch, and it looks like you've designed the perfect sweater to show off the pattern. Can't wait to see how it comes along!

Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

"75, 76, 7, 8, 9, 90, 91..." It's not all the family's fault. I often forget the 80's also. They were the Reagan years after all.