Sunday, July 15, 2007

More Spinning

Yes, I swear, I will get some knitting done soon! Really!

It's just that it's so easy for me to spin and not so easy for me to knit when my family is driving me nuts. And I really really really wanted to make some 3 ply yarn.

Why don't more knitting spinners and spinning knitters make 3 ply? (Maybe they do and I just don't realize it.) But it seems like most of the ones I run across are talking about 2 ply for knitting. And I have to say, there's something so much better about 3 ply!

With that said, here's my first skein:


And here's the second one:


These were both made from the same singles, but I had a more satisfactory arrangement of the singles for plying without tangles on the second skein. I think I'm starting to get the hang of this.

The-Brown-Sheep-mill-ends-turned-into-a-batt made wonderful thin strong singles and I am getting pretty darn consistent with them. Some of the inconsistencies in the yarn are from the first bobbin's worth of singles, before I carded it.

My next plan is to bring the drum carder over to my house soon and tackle the mixed browns! I think they will make great batts!

Here's a bright orange flower growing in the yard:

6 comments:

Sue, aka seiding said...

I'm doing some three-ply right now too. Yours look a lot nicer than mine. I have one under-spun and one over-spun skein. sigh. But I have plenty more fiber to get it right.

I love how the cosmo goes with your blog!

Molly Bee said...

I just love this! It's the perfect color and sheen. Great work!

Bezzie said...

I don't know why no one talks about 3 ply. Hm.

Looks good though. Can't wait to see what you card up!

Batty said...

I'm still having trouble with 2 ply, but your spinning is beautiful.

Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Wow 3 ply! It is so lovely...the color...the texture...you'll have to tell us what it is like to knit with. :)

Sarah said...

I like 3-ply too, but for me, mostly I 2-ply because I like to knit lacey stuff lately with my handspun, and I like the 2-ply for lacey stuff.

I do 3-ply, but I need to get some more bobbins, or, if I got more bobbins would they just get filled with more spinning WIPs too?