Saturday, February 24, 2007

Blizzard!

That's a word we don't often hear in Wisconsin. Often our winters are on the dry side. We just don't have the moisture machine it takes to fuel a real snowy winter in these parts. When we were preparing to move here in '96, I remember reading that the total annual snowfall was about 40 inches. When you figure that winter starts by early November and goes until at least late March, that's not really a lot of snow. Well, we got about 6 inches last night and we're supposed to get another 12 or so in the next 24 hours, so I guess this is serious weather. This is heavy, wet snow and blowing, too, so it'll be a good time to hunker down indoors.

I didn't go to knitting group this morning. It turns out that one brave knitter showed up. Sorry Linda! We weren't dug out yet and we've got germs germs germs and I had to take Owen and a friend to lunch and a movie for a belated birthday festivity. March will be better. I hope.

Germs
Mr SABLE has caught the fever and he's definitely having more of a time with it than I did. Meanwhile, although I feel better, I wouldn't say that I'm altogether well.

Other news; very sad
Yesterday we got a letter from the principal of my younger son's school. One of my son's kindergarten classmates died on Thursday and they wanted parents to be the ones to tell their own kids. I'm not sure how my approach stacked up and I'm not sure my little guy even really let the news in. The little boy who died lived just around the corner from us. He was quite profoundly disabled and needed a nurse on duty with him all the time. I had noticed the ambulance going by our circle, but didn't connect it with the awful possibilities. This boy gave me a lot of food for thought in the short time I knew him. He couldn't speak, couldn't utter a sound. He couldn't direct his gaze or move any part of his body. He seemed to enjoy being in the classroom with the other children and the children enjoyed doing things for him. They all expected that he would eventually learn to walk and talk as they had. My son was making plans for the time in the spring when C could come over in his wheelchair for a little visit. I need to think of something to do for the parents. I don't know anything about them, so have no ideas about foods to bring, etc. I can't imagine their pain right now.

13 comments:

rincaro said...

We had some folks lose a little one about a year ago due to a freak accident. Makes you hug your own extra tight.

I think anything will be appreciated. You might see if the school's PTA is organizing food. We did that.

Becky in Iowa :O) said...

ugh I can't imagine having to explain to my son that one of his friends was dead. It was hard enough trying to explain it to him when my dad's cousin died. He is 7 and I don't really think he got it. Until recently he was completely convinced that little kids couldn't die. I hope he doesn't have to find out he is wrong first hand like that.

I'm over here hating the weather too. We are supposed to get another foot of snow on top of the ice and sleet we had today. yick

Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

How horrible to lose a classmate...I will pray for the family and yours.

Hope DH gets better soon.

Sorry you missed knitting but if the weather is bad it is best to stay home. I am doing that today too as the white stuff continues to fall.

Ruinwen
:)

Anonymous said...

I understand why ya'll would want not to leave the house! I had to take J to work, so I was out anyway. I live right on a "main drag" and our apt. management company had plowed us out by 8:45 am., so I was able to run my errands (got a bunch of DVDs from the library to ward off cabin fever) and have some time to sit, sip coffee, and knit a little. I had my laptop, too, so I took advantage of Victor Allens' free WiFi. Maybe next month won't be so "weather challenged"!

I had my first life/death lesson in Kindergarten, too, when my grandfather died. I had no concept of "old" and "young" and when it was appropriate to die (which is _never_). But I know that at age 6, I accepted it with more equanimity than my parents expected. Perhaps including your son in any gesture of condolence would help both of you in this time of loss.

Bezzie said...

Mmmm....snow! It's supposed to sleet for us tomorrow. Wonderful for us except for the whole moving thing...ah well. Things could be worse.

That's awful about Little E's classmate. I wish I had sage advice to pass on, but I think even if I did, it wouldn't help. That's a situation that sucks no matter what side of it you're on and there is no one-size-fits-all answer unfortunately.

Jenny said...

That's so sad. I'm sure any kind of gesture would be appreciated. Maybe some healthy food? When my grandpa died we were overrun with too much sugar and heavy casseroles.

Linda sure is serious about getting to Last Saturday Knitting! I'm pretty sure I would have stayed home, too.

Batty said...

I hope Mr. SABLE feels better soon!

I'm so sorry about the little boy. Honestly, his parents are probably having a hard time remembering to eat right now. Something that can be warmed up easily and is kind of comforting would help, something like homemade chicken soup, mac and cheese, anything. This is so sad.

Molly Bee said...

Sorry to hear about C. I saw his obit yesterday. Hope your little one is OK. Hope you got all shoveled out yesterday! It was like trying to move wet concrete! Tonight I get to stay in and knit! YAY!

Sarah said...

Snow! Real Winter finally!

Sorry to hear about your son's classmate. I can't imagine what the parents are going through.

Maybe you could buy them a tree to plant in their yard if the garden, in memory?

Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

I like all of the ideas for reaching out to the parents. It think it would be especially nice for them to have something that included the little emperor's thoughts about his friend, like a home-made card. That may also help your guy express himself about the tragedy.

Erica said...

Oh, how sad...

As a bereaved parent myself, I'd say do ANYTHING, and they'll appreciate it. Cards are good (it can be nice to have the tangible reminder to go back to). The idea about LE doing a card is really good. If you feel like you don't know what to say, a sincere "I don't know what to say, but I'm SO sorry" means an awful lot. If you don't know what kind of food, how about a certificate for a place that delivers? Also, help with chores, etc. would probably be really welcome (shovel their walkway?). Picking up a grief book for them could be really welcome, too (someone showed up on our doorstep with one the day after our son died, and we were really touched). If you happen to have a photo of him from a day you worked in the class, you could frame it and give it to them. Also, if they have other children, kids' grief books would probably be welcome, too. Email me if you want suggestions (non-religious or religious, either one).

Erica said...

OH! You could give the mom some knitted comfort and whip up a warm, SOFT shawl. I know when I'm deep in grief, it somehow helps to wrap myself in something....

Carol said...

So very sorry t hear the news. Lots of love and hugs to all affected by this tragedy.