Wednesday, August 23, 2006
playing with color
When we met in NH, Shelagh gave me some yarn to dye with the kids. On our first effort, we used red and blue Wiltons, made in a solution with water and poured over the yarn. The results remindedme of cotton candy. I know a lot of people would be happy with it, but it was a little too pastel for my taste. Today I went at it with all sorts of other stuff. I sprinkled grape and black cherry koolaid powder right on the yarn while it simmered in just enough water to cover it in my 12 quart pan. As it was simmering, I thought it needed a little something else, so I mixed some brown Wilton's paste in water and splashed that on here and there. When the water in pan looked clear, I turned off the stove and drained off the boiling water.
Some close ups of different sections of the yarn:
Don't worry folks, there will always be bugs here, too.
I've been trying to find a good milkweed bug for Shelagh, but having a hard time. Finally found this one hiding in the plant. Meanwhile, our older camera, which has the great built-in supermacro, is misbehaving terribly. I don't have a super macro for the new camera yet. So, my bug close-ups are limited for now.