Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mothers' Work?

I've never been too impressed with Mothers Day. I'm enough of a cynic that I mostly think it's a big marketing gimmick designed to extract money from the pockets of those who feel guilty about their relationships with their mothers.

The Sandy's Palette BFL

Friday night I finished plying the BFL from Sandy's Palette.



I ended up with about 765 yards and 240 grams of yarn. I don't have a clue what it'll become. Right now, it's just pretty yarn.

In Other News

Yesterday Mr. SABLE and I were able to do a little long-deferred work in our yard. I tackled the job of removing all the compost from the patio. We didn't plan to make compost on our patio, but that's what you get if you don't remove leaves and stuff for a couple of years! Along the left side of the patio, as seen in the picture, there's an area that's a bit brighter. That's the part that was covered. Including the timber that runs along the edge there. It took about 5 wheelbarrow loads to cart it all down to the compost pile (the real one). Every time I look out the kitchen window and catch a glimpse of it, I pat myself on the back one more time. It just looks so much better now!

6 comments:

Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

I have to laugh a little when I hear people discussing how to go about making compost. It's harder NOT to make compost. That is some gorgeous yarn. I think it would be a nice Clapotis-like drapey sharf/scawl. Or something else, of course!

YarnThrower said...

Ah yes, a low key mothers' day here, too. DH and the kids made dinner for me (homemade tomato soup and scones), and that was really nice. I'm not a passionate cook by any means, though I cook most of our dinners, so having a night off from cooking is a real treat!

I know what you mean about getting projects out of the way that have been on your mind for years... The pile of dust on the blinds in our bathroom springs immediately to mind, though I'm not sure how to get all of that off, because it is sort of "stuck" there. I should just follow your lead, however, and tackle it, and then I'll feel better every time I look at it...

Anonymous said...

Stop posting all the pretty handspun. I am trying to resist the lure of the spinning!

Bezzie said...

Very nice! I'm a big believer in whole-yard composting myself. What can I say--who wants to bag grass clippings and fall leaves?

Molly Bee said...

That yarn is GORGEOUS! It looks like come caramel-y, autumn-y baked good. Next time I see that at Sandy's, I'm grabbin' it for shore. It's so subtle and dignified compared to the Froot Loops I'm spinning right now!

Kristina B said...

Lovely yarn.

Re. mother's day - I do agree, probably just a greeting card holiday. I plan to set up one myself for reprobates like me "Childfree Appreciation Day". If I can only come up with a suitable line of greeting cards, I'll probably make a mint! :-)