Friday, June 03, 2005

Designing frustrations


Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Here's a pic of a texture I'm playing with. This is from recycled yarn from a thrift shop lambswool sweater. It's really kind of a loden green, with a heathered grey cast to it. The yarn has a rustic fuzziness to it that obscures the texture. I can't decide if I should move on to the rest of the garment or go back to the drawing board. This is for a men's sweatervest I'm envisioning with traditional leather buttons. Kind of like a comfort garment with a bit of a modern update. Anyhow, I'm thinking that the texture will work, but needs a smoother yarn and that this yarn needs to get a more pronounced texture to make it look interesting. Scott likes it because it's subtle, but I wonder if it is so subtle that it's pointless? Feedback?

5 comments:

Elisabeth Lincoln said...

I know I'm nowhere near as experienced with various yarns/stitches as you are, but here's my take. Since this is a comfort garment knit for a male, having already received a "thumbs up" by one of them, I think the yarn will work fine. I can see how it would be frustrating to make such a cool design and not have it showcased well though. I'm one of those who likes great stitch definition. If I were knitting it for my own enjoyment/practice I'd choose a smooth yarn.

Vicki Knitorious said...

I agree... My husband thinks my Starmore Aran is amazing, but he'd never wear anything so heavily textured himself, though he has expressed an interest in having me knit him a textured sweater. Uh-huh, I think what you're working on would be right up his alley.

And, personally, I like it, too.

Joeli said...

I like it!! That's just me though, and I don't know a whole lot about anything especially designing, but I think you should keep going and see what happens.

Elizabeth said...

I think for comparison, I will try a swatch in a smooth mercerized cotton, but I will also press on with this. It's pretty quick knitting.

Elizabeth said...

I did make and block a swatch with Patons Classic Merino, which is much smoother, and I was more happy with the result. I'm not familiar with the Black Water Abbey yarn. Off to google....

I really appreciate male feedback, Jon! Straight guys (i.e. husbands) can rarely explain what they like or don't about a piece. They just will or wont wear it once it's done.