Monday, August 10, 2009

Et Voila!


Well, I might become an entrelac convert, but only in a limited way. I'm pretty happy with how this turned out, first attempt at a fiddly new technique and all.





I don't think I can stand to write a pattern for this because I sure don't want to talk anyone else through Entrelac 101. And in the round, at that. But if you already know how to do it or can handle looking up a tutorial on your own, I'll probably make a rough guideline to making a similar hat. But not a word-by-word pattern. Because I surely don't want to hear about it when it goes wrong, which it's likely to do!

Some Details
Yarn: Mini Mochi, 1 50 gram ball. I can't find the ball band for the colorway right now.
Needles: US #2 double points.
Size: pretty darn big: it fits my head!

13 comments:

Bezzie said...

Beautiful, but UGH! Only because it's 91 degrees in my bedroom and the mere thought of a wool cap makes me drown in my own sweat! ;-)

YarnThrower said...

Whoa, Elizabeth! That looks great!!

Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

It's perfect. The colors landed just right and it does fit. Good job. You learned a new trick. Now do one with texture. Have you seen the garterlac dish cloth?

Love
litinw

dale-harriet said...

Elizabeth! It's *perfection*, I LOVE it! I saw that Crazy Aunt Purl has a a "very simple" pattern for an entrelac scarf that I (boldly going where I had never gone before) PRINTED OUT. I **may** give it a try, but I think the "in the round" will forever be beyond me. But I can ADMIRE CRAFT AND SKILL AND BEAUTY with the best of 'em. Mazel Tov!!

Unknown said...

Hi Elizabeth,

The second felted bag I ever did was an entrelac...tok me forever to figure the darn thing out but once I got going it was surprisingly easy and I loved the final result.

The hat is lovely and looks lovely on you!

Dk's Wife said...

Rarely ever comment, but it looks great!!!! I mean really, really good :)

Wendy said...

You're a much better woman than I am.

(And the hat looks great!)

Terby said...

I like it. The shape suits you, too.

But I agree with Bezzie. It's hot, and looking at the hat is making me sweat even more.

(My verification is ovensp. Even the internet agrees that it's hot.)

jaala said...

Wow, Elizabeth, it looks delightful! Congrats on success with the new technique.

Cindy G said...

Lovely! The color play is wonderful. I may have to give the technique a try (I, too, have been avoiding it for years).

Leslie said...

I've never tried entrelac but of course you make it look easy! This hat is so pretty.

Michele said...

Very pretty!

ruth said...

Hi, there. I just bought the last single ball of Mini Mochi and my LYS and in the ensuing Ravelry search found your hat!
It's gorgeous!!! I would love to make one.
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE give a rough description of how you made your hat. I can hopefully figure out the entrelac in-the-round thing, but knowing how many stitches you cast on, how many stitches per entrelac block, and how you shaped such a nice flat crown would be wonderful!
Please?
I'll send you homemade jam in return!