Friday, December 26, 2008

Socks!




Yesterday I started the Charade Socks, by Sandra Park. This pattern is a free Ravelry download. I was playing around with the LittleFreak sock yarn, trying to make the best use of the long sections of color. Each length of color in this skein would make about 1 round of a 72 st sock. I was hoping to make a cool effect with pooling, and played around with a few ideas before I hit on this plan.

This sock is worked on 68 sts, on size 0 needles, which creates a bit of overlap on the brown color. This is resulting in a very subtle spiral winding down the sock, which otherwise alternates a round of green, a round of brown. The herringbone columns in the pattern are subtle (and would be great in a solid yarn) but I think they add a nice touch to this and make a play of texture in the color that works pretty well. It's also a fun pattern to knit: quick to memorize and, so far, not boring.

6 comments:

Cindy G said...

Wooo, those colors are working up really nicely!

I'm so disappointed to be missing Last Saturday again this month (but family duties...) Say "hi" for me to any and all.

Batty said...

I really like the effect! I just finished a pair of socks that spiraled (though on a larger scale), and it's fun just watching the colors do their thing.

Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

I like the herring bones as is. It looks like embroidery. There is also a tic tac toe feel to it and that can only be good for socks.

Anonymous said...

I love the way that's working up, and you've inspired me to think about the lengths of color sections and use it to my advantage.

Bezzie said...

Nice--not too fancy, not too boring. I need to get back to knitting socks---its been almost a year since my last pair.

Sarah said...

I like that spiral- subtle