Tuesday, November 06, 2007

So this is the month when...

we're all supposed to blog every day. As if that's gonna happen! I could do it, but I think it might cost me readers.

Anyway, it's just out of some kind of guilt-inducing group-meme menatality that I'm posting this right now. Because I don't have anything interesting to say or show you.

OK, well, maybe this...

After reading more about Ravelry on the designers' lists that I subscribe to, I thought maybe I should get on the list. There's a lot of potential for self-promotion, which is pretty much what monetary success rests on. I was kind of curious about how many people are making my patterns, since I don't turn up a lot by googling. So, I got my invite yesterday. After poking around a bit, I couldn't figure out how to get set up as the designer of the patterns of mine that were already listed there. Eventually I figured out that I had to request this, and did. 24 hours later, the email comes back that they can't find any designs by me in their system. ?!?! When I searched my name, I found 25 of them! Pretty much my whole body of currently available patterns. It took a couple emails to straighten that out, but we did.

The upshot of all this is that I've been doing some poking around in there and putting in pictures of my patterns. My original reaction when I first heard of Ravelry was that I had no need for the data-base function, personally. What I didn't consider was that I might benefit from supplying the data to others, rather than using the data myself.

Meanwhile, I've been formatting the next TGB newsletter. It's really coming together. I'm proud of all the new stuff coming up, though most of it isn't mine. And I'm proud of the job I'm doing putting it together as design/layout job. So, go sign up!

6 comments:

Bezzie said...

The only reason I put Mead in my "project" list is because when I entered it, I couldn't find it in there. Nice to know it's all straightened out now though.

Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

I'm enjoying Ravelry. I mainly look at how other folks have used the same yarn I have or how things look in different yarns. I've been waiting for the Garter Belt Newsletter. I've been waiting with bated breath, but it turns out that was my soon to become ex- gallbladder. Now I'm just waiting with regular breath.

Lynn said...

OK, I'm signed up! Finish that formatting and get back to the Fair Isle - I can't wait to see that finished!

sgeddes said...

I'm actually surprised how much I use ravelry to search out projects. I think it is a great tool for self promotion.

jpknits said...

I think I posted a "who has time for another online" remark about Ravelry.

And later I changed my mind.

You are ABSOLUTELY right about it being a useful resource for patterns under one roof. Good outreach tool for you designers, I'd say.

As someone who has changed her mind about Ravelry, I'd say there's really no "face" to save on this one. Go for it.

Leslie said...

Hey, welcome to Ravelry! It's loads of fun to search the patterns and get inspired. I love building a list of future projects, complete with pattern links, photos, comments on mods and so on. It's great!