Saturday, October 13, 2007

This Week's Knitting

Fair Isle Cardigan

I've been working on the sleeve cap area of my first sleeve. This is new for me, because I've always done Fair Isle sweaters in the traditional way, with a drop or modified drop sleeve and picking up stitches from the cut steek to work down to the cuff. I think I'll like the result, even though I'm not someone who ever minded the drop-sleeve look.

Here's a detail of how it's working out.

I plan to continue the sleeve cap decreases until the top of the next red band, then cast off straight across the remaining couple inches of stitches.

Scott's Tweedy Pullover
This is one of my longest-standing WIPs. It's been in progress about 2 years. It's not a UFO because I still plan to finish it and I do work on it from time to time.

There's nothing especially difficult or even time-consuming about the pattern. Just a simple slip stitch pattern using 3 fine-gauge yarns and #3 needles. I think it's the purling back that gets to me. I don't mind purling, but my left hand does. I feel like all my knitting progress has been a bit slow lately because my hand is hovering on the edge of mutiny.
Here's a detail of the stitch:


I'm coming to the conclusion that spinning really seem to aggravate the CTS. I hate to think about that. I'll try playing with my posture and holding my fiber differently, but I wonder if my body's telling me I'm not meant to spin.

12 comments:

YarnThrower said...

I love your sweater! WOW -- nice, too, how the stripes match between the body and the sleeve!

I hope you're able to find a good solution so that you may continue to spin...

Bezzie said...

Oh the cardigan is looking NICE!

Oof, I worry about CTS, that would end my career as a paper pushing monkey.

Marina said...

The Fair Isle - aren't you going to give it a name? - is looking quite splendid, Elizabeth!

No! You can give up spinning. There has to be a way around it.

turtlegirl76 said...

That's a work of art. Not a garment. I'd frame it.

Molly Bee said...

That Fair Isle is amazing!! I hope you can find a way to spin ergononically. Your spinning is so nice!

Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

Your spinning is very nice, but the problem with pain is how much it hurts. Shirley, changing your posture, chair, work height or something else will help. I hope so.

dale-harriet said...

"...nothing especially difficult or even time-consuming..." No, not for YOu! I watched you whizzing along on the tweedy luxurious knit and just shake my head in amazement. BEAUTIFUL - but better you than me! Have you ever tried one of those semi-rigid velcro wrist support thingies? I'd HATE for you to have to curtail spinning, even a little, skillful as you are (and as much joy as it brings you). Here's shoving Good Wishes torward that wrist, for SURE!

Poops said...

I'm just blown away by that Fair Isle sweater. It's the knitting I aspire to. That and those Norwegian ski team type sweaters.

I think my ankle and your wrist are conspiring to keep us away from our wheels! If I know you, you'll have it figured out before too long.

Lynn said...

I discovered the other night that if I have a beer with my knitting, my hands don't hurt. I don't drink much, but I may have to lay in a stock for the winter. That solution won't work for you, but I hope something will. Jenny Bakridges mentioned that she had to switch to spinning with her thumb held against her three middle fingers, rather than just against her index finger, to help with carpal tunnel sorts of aches.

And that sweater is really beautiful!

Sarah said...

Love the way the cardigan is coming along! Your spinning is so pretty I hope that's not what's causing you grief with your hand.

Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

Gosh, those pumpkins almost look real.

MiniLaura said...

I love your Fair Isle cardigan. It so beautiful and the way that the stripes of the sleeves and the body match up is just perfect.

I'm having CTS, too. If you know how to get rid of it, let me know.