Friday, June 26, 2009

Some Spinning, Some Garden Pics, and a Broken Appliance

First off, this brown yarn hanging out to dry on the clothesline is part of a very long term project to make myself a sweater from my own handspun.

This is three-ply, probably something like sport weight, and I think (would have to dig in my archives to verify), from a merino/romney cross fleece. This fiber came to me in a tremendous Craigslist deal a couple years ago. (Was it actually that long?) I'm sure this will be a very favorite sweater when I eventually finish it. But it's a lot of plain brown spinning.

This is a 7 gram mini skein of two ply yarn from Sarah's yearling lamb Spooky.

I bought this fleece from Sarah's recent sale. I have a bit to learn about processing a raw fleece for spinning, but I'm excited about this. It is next-to-the-skin soft! I'll probably make a nice three-ply yarn out of it eventually.

Next up, a bunch of nice flower images, taken over the last couple of weeks.










And finally, a broken appliance:

This is what a washing machine looks like without the big rectangular shell. Last week mine started making an ominous noise and yesterday I realized that it was no longer spinning out the water. It pumped out the water that sank to the bottom, but it was hard work moving all that sodden laundry out. I decided to hang it on the line, rather than stress my dryer because I think the dryer is next to go. Mr SABLE, being the handy guy he is, ordered the necessary part online last night, and should get it working by Wednesday or Thursday of the coming week. There might be one laundromat run in my near future.

5 comments:

Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

Bee balm? The washer is more attractive without the box. Whose great design idea was the boxy box? They didn't start out boxy. Sound dampening and all that, but geez, it's like gluing egg cartons to the ceiling at the symphony. I'll pile in on your long, cool ride any time. Love, domorch.

Molly Bee said...

Pretty Pretty pictures...well, except for the washer! (0=. Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow!

Bezzie said...

I just finished some brown singles of my own I need to ply.
I just read a blogger who documented her adventures in processing her fleece herself using that soak where you basically pickle it--it worked really good for her. I'm glad I didn't read about it before Sarah put hers up for sale!

Batty said...

Aaaah! I hate it when large appliances break.

Drink Recipes said...

Very thoughhtful blog